Saturday, March 29, 2014

Speech Update

"Righty do it!"

We've now had three speech therapy sessions since our frightening speech evaluation and things are going really well.  Allie loves the therapist and has been really excited about going to visit her.  She even asked if she could bring the therapist to school to meet her friends.

Each of the sessions starts with Allie and the therapist sitting at a little table and saying words and sentences into a mirror.  When Allie gets the sounds right, she gets to take a turn playing a matching game with paper ice cream scoops.  She thinks it is awesome.  The second half of the session is spent reading books and working on verb conjugation and pronouns, but in a fun way.  All the while, I sit silently on the other side of the room and read email on my phone.

During our session yesterday, the therapist turned to me and said "I'm not really sure what to do about Allie's pronunciation.  She scored incorrectly on the evaluation but when we work on the sounds, she gets them all right."  She then went on to say that she thinks Allie's main issue is that she tries to get all of her sentence out at the same time and that she needs to slow down and make sure that she takes time for each word.  She's working on it and has been making noticeable gains; I'm really happy with it.

In other news, I'm speaking at the American Occupation Therapy Association's annual conference this Wednesday to talk about Allie's experience with constraint therapy.  I'll be part of a panel talking about parental impacts of the intensive therapy, so we shall see how it goes.  One of her OT's emailed me asking if I would participate and she said "I can't tell you how many families have come and said... oh yeah I read about your program or CIMT on Allie's blog!!"  It totally made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment