Friday, December 14, 2012

Speech Eval and Parent-Teacher Conference

Big Walker (I love when she spots the puddle
and shouts "Wawa!" with complete surprise)

Allie had part 2 of her semi-annual speech evaluation yesterday and it was great.  The speech pathologist is allergic to cats so we went to her office for the meeting.  Allie was such a big kid.  She was walking all around this big room, exploring all the toys, asking us to get the toys that were out of reach, throwing mini-tantrums when we wouldn't immediately get said toys for her.  She seems so much older now that she is walking around everywhere. 

The pathologist and I filled out a paper evaluation of what Allie can and can't say and does and doesn't understand.  I am happy to report that our 22 month old Allie is scoring at 20 months for her receptive language (what she understands) and 24 months for her expressive language (what she says).  The pathologist said that these reports are not an exact science but Allie's scores show us that she approximately where she should be for her age.  It's strange because Jonathan, Allie's teachers, her therapists, and I all think that Allie understands everything we say but we are worried about what she can/chooses to say.  I would have expected the scores to be reversed.

It seems like Allie has a handful of words that she uses a lot.  However, we created a full list of the words that Allie says without prompting and she has over 40.  The pathologist said that kids should have 50 words by 2 years old, so Allie is on the right track.  She was also impressed that Allie is stringing 2-3 words together (for example, "more water please" or "it's a book") and said that kids aren't expected to do that until after 2.  She was also impressed that Allie says the beginning and ending sounds of some words because a lot of kids don't do that well until later either.

We will be doing another evaluation a couple months after Allie turns 2 to see how things are progressing.

It was a great evaluation but we're still carefully watching her speech development.  Although this is one of the areas that Allie is doing well in, it is perhaps the area that I am most concerned with.

On Wednesday, Jonathan and I had our annual parent-teacher conference with one of Allie's daycare teachers.  Moral of the story: Allie is kicking butt at everything.  Her teacher says that she's happy with how Allie follows instructions, learns rules and routines, and plays with her friends.  She commented that Allie is getting more and more independent, especially now that she's walking, and that Allie isn't getting as frustrated as she used to.  We see her frustration lessening too as she is gaining the ability to tell us what she wants or just do what she wants herself. 

I was dropping Allie off this morning and I caught some of her playing WITH instead of NEXT TO the other kids.  It seems like she is more into this than the rest of the kids are.  She walked over to a toy table next to a boy who was stacking blocks.  She picked up a block, stacked it on his block, and smiled at him.  He glared back at her not finding her nearly as charming as she was being, grabbed the other block that was in front of her, and walked away.  Allie looked up at me and laughed as if to say "He thinks he can get away from me that easily!"  Then she turned and walked after him.

I said goodbye and left, but I peaked in the window on my walk to to train.  Allie and the boy were racing cars together and Allie was crashing her car into his.  This time, he seemed to be enjoying it.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, I love your description of events. I almost feel as if I'm there seeing all of it myself. I'm so happy for you, Jonathan and Allie. Allie is where she is because of the two of you. But my real question is.....if she has 40 words, when can we expect "Gama"?

    ReplyDelete