Tuesday, October 9, 2012

IFSP and New Goals

Stair climber
Today was Allie's annual review for her Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP), which details the services that she gets through our county's early intervention program.  I can't believe that it has been a year since she started the program.

I remember the initial evaluation and how I had no idea what was going on.  We didn't know what to expect.  Jonathan didn't even stay home from work for the appointment because we really didn't think it was a big deal.  We had just had the MRI, found out about the stroke, and had the evaluation for services within a couple of days.  Looking back, we were completely overwhelmed.

The initial evaluation was a couple hours long and, luckily for me, Jonathan's mom Bonnie was in town and she was able to juggle Allie while I was answering their dozens of questions about what I want Allie to be able to do.  How was I seriously supposed to answer those questions?  I hadn't even wrapped my mind around the idea of Allie having a stroke, I had no idea what her prognosis was, and I didn't even know what typical babies do.  Still, I sat there and tried to envision where I wanted Allie to be in 6 months and a year from that day.  It all felt like make believe.

I remember asking one of the therapists if all these seemingly lofty goals were at all reasonable.  I really had no clue.  This woman had an extreme look of apprehension while trying to think of what to say, and that gave me a more honest answer than her response did. 

It was cool to look back over these goals that I don't even remember writing and see how far Allie has come.

For physical therapy, Allie met all of her goals except independent walking.  Some of her achieved goals include pulling up, cruising, and transitioning between pieces of furniture.  Her new goals include independent walking (again), walking on different types of surfaces, and being able to get around on stairs.

For occupational therapy, Allie met some of her goals but it was not as dramatic as with PT.  Allie now bears weight on Righty and will use Righty to play if we help get it involved. But, Allie still needs to be more consistent with using Righty on her own. 

Lastly, Allie's cognitive play therapist was there to talk about Allie's development.  She said that Allie is right where she should be for an almost 20-month old and she seems to be picking up on new skills just fine.  I am very proud.  We are getting another speech evaluation soon to make sure that the speech pathologist still thinks that Allie is doing well. 

To celebrate, Allie and I went to the park to play.  There were some other young kids there and Allie was showing off.  She walked over to the stairs and crawled up them by herself.  The picture above was when she got to the top.

At home tonight, she got all the way up our steep stairs with minimal assistance.

It's pretty cool to meet one of her PT goals the same day that we set it.

No comments:

Post a Comment